Have you tried working out, lost a little weight, and gained it all back? Like many Americans, you’ll probably try again during the New Year. Unfortunately, if you keep using the same methods, you’re likely to fail. Yes, effort is important, but behavioral change is incredibly complex and difficult. You can force yourself to run on a treadmill for a couple weeks, but eventually you’ll make excuses to skip workouts because it’s not fun or challenging. The solution isn’t trying to improve willpower, it’s changing the psychology of your workouts.
Reasons why most exercises fail:
- A person doesn’t enjoy the form of exercise.
- The chosen workout isn’t fun.
- There is no social aspect to a person’s workout. When no one is keeping tabs on your workout, you’ll start skipping and eventually stop going altogether.
Training at Columbia BJJ offers several benefits:
- The classes are fun: training in Brazilian jiu-jitsu provides something to build towards. Unlike popular cardiovascular activities, you’re constantly learning new techniques while burning 500-800 calories per class. Train for self-defense. Train for fitness. Train for Mixed Martial Arts. You’ll stay motivated while working towards something important.
- Expert guidance: there is no physical prerequisite needed to start training. Whether you’re out of shape or just looking to get stronger, Scott Naugle can tailor to every student in the class.
- Work with others with similar goals: accountability is a big reason why many people quit their training programs before the first month is complete. If there is no one to push you to workout when tired from a day at work, you’re likely to skip and break the momentum that pushed you to start training. Columbia BJJ provides a friendly atmosphere for men and women where students encourage each other to grow every week. You don’t skip workouts often when you’ve made friends who push you to continue.
Men and women are welcome at Columbia BJJ. Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu is for everyone, man and woman, young and old, weak and strong.
What is Brazilian Jiu-jitsu? Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a very unique martial art form created by Grand Master Helio Gracie from Brazil. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu (BJJ) relies on maximizing one’s use of leverage to overcome a much larger and stronger opponent thereby making it one of the most effective forms of self-defense in today’s modern world.
Any given class is broken down into three parts. The warm-up, technical training, and sparring, grappling or “rolling” as we like to call it. Brazilian Jiu-jitsu is a great workout and an excellent way to get into and stay in shape. Unlike conventional methods of exercise that can easily become boring, BJJ is fun and is as good or even better than most conventional methods of exercise. We guarantee you will burn calories and lose weight while toning muscle (not building muscle). And, unlike conventional methods of exercise, with BJJ there is the added benefit of learning to defend yourself all at the same time!
- Stress reduction
- Good for the mind
- Improve self-confidence
- Improve self-esteem
- Learn Self-Defense
Why Columbia BJJ? We offer a variety of classes to meet the various needs of our students. We offer classes in…
- Co-ed BJJ
- Basic Self-Defense
- Kids “Bully-Safe” BJJ
- No-Gi BJJ
I need to get into shape before I start taking class? Absolutely NOT. The best way to get into shape for BJJ, is to start taking BJJ. No other form of exercise can prepare you for BJJ better than BJJ itself. No experience? No problem. 95% of the people who first come into our school have never taken any martial arts before and most of them are out of shape when they start.
What makes BJJ unique?
- The techniques are based on leverage and timing instead of strength and speed.
- Anyone can learn BJJ… Man, woman or child, regardless of athletic ability.
- BJJ emphasizes preserving one’s energy while forcing one’s opponent to defeat themselves.
What makes Columbia BJJ unique?
- We are the only certified Rickson Gracie Jiu-jitsu school on the entire east coast. Rickson Gracie is one of the sons of the Grand Master and founder, Helio Gracie. Rickson is also the undisputed champion of the family.
- We cater to families. Most BJJ schools focus on competitions. Some of our students compete as well, but the main focus of our school is on families, and self-defense.
- “I love this class! I’m in the best shape of my life and have developed good self-defense skills as well as confidence. Plus, its a lot of fun!” Ananda Creager
- “Mr. Naugle is always consistently good with his instruction, pays good attention to details of techniques, and is always quick to help his students with any problems they are having in class. I firmly believe that I would not have learned nearly as much as I have with most any other instructor.” Andrew Mullican
- “Scott has always displayed a high degree of integrity, responsibility, and ambition. He is definitely a leader rather than a follower. In addition to modest demeanor and professionalism, he is very personable. I have learned not only a lot about BJJ but have also learned a lot about myself and gained a faithful friend in the process.” Jason Massey
- “Scott is an outstanding teacher who understands the details of every move and can relay those details to the student better than anyone. I would recommend him to anyone interested in learning BJJ.” Joe Phillips